V.K. Sasikala – convicted in Asset Disproportionate case
VK Sasikala : Background
- Vivekanandan Krishnaveni Sasikala (also known as Sasikala Natarajan), is Tamil Nadu politician who is the acting general secretary of All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK).
- She was born in 1956 to an agriculturist couple in Thanjavur district of Tamil Nadu. A school dropout from Mannargudi, she grew up with her five siblings. She belongs to the politically important Thevar community.
- She was a close aide of J. Jayalalithaa, the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, who headed AIADMK from 1989 until her death in 2016.
- She used to run a video renting and recording shop when was introduced to Jayalalithaa in 1980s.
Relationship with Jayalalitha
- Sasikala was introduced to Jayalalithaa in 1980 by IAS officer-turned-politician VS Chandralekha on the request of his PRO R Natrajan, Sasikala’s husband.
- In mid 1980s, She got the contract to cover AIADMK, party events as video recorder when Jayalalithaa was the propaganda secretary of AIADMK. Jayalalithaa was so impressed with the video coverage that she started borrowing cassettes from Sasikala’s video parlour in Mylapore, bringing them closer.
- Then the duo eventually became close friends. In fact, She even started living with the former CM.
- Jayalalithaa was heavily criticised for spending crores on Sasikala’s nephew and her foster son V N Sudhakaran’s wedding.
- In December 2011, Jayalalithaa expelled Ms Sasikala, her husband and 12 other relatives alleging that the family was conspiring against her.
- But Sasikala broke all ties with her family and relatives to make Jayalalithaa believe that she was not involved in any conspiracy against her. After her apology, Jayalalithaa re-admitted Sasikala in the party.
- She even went to the jail along with Jayalalithaa in the Disproportionate asset case and were acquitted by the High Court together and found not guilty.
- Despite never holding any specific post in the party, She was Jayalalithaa’s close aide and the then CM relied on her for advise on important decisions.
- AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa had even declared the 60-year-old her ‘udanpirava sagodhari’ which means a sister not related with blood.
- Sasikala was with Jayalalithaa for all the 74 days that she was admitted at the Apollo hospital in Chennai. Believed that it was Sasikala who was taking the major decision while Amma was undergoing treatment in the hospital.
- She was also seen standing right next to Amma’s mortal remains throughout the funeral procession when thousands gathered to pay final respects to late Jayalalithaa.
- It was Sasikala who performed the last rites of the AIADMK supremo, Jayalalithaa.
After Jayalalithaa’s demise
- On February 5, a meeting of AIADMK MLAs unanimously selected Sasikala as the legislative party leader and was elected to become Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
- Same day Tamil Nadu CM O.Panneeraselvam resigned for his post but the swearing in of Sasikala delayed due to some other reasons.
- Tamil Nadu witnessed major political crisis after OPS’s surprising rebellion against her for the CM post.
Asset Disproportionate case and SC verdict
- A case was filed in 1996 against late Tamil Nadu chief minister Jayalalithaa, following a complaint by now BJP MP Subramanian Swamy, that she had assets disproportionate to her known sources of income.
- The case titled State of Karnataka vs Jayalalithaa and others, which includes the names of Sasikala and her relatives J Elavarasi and V N Sudhakaran.
- She has been found guilty, along with Ms Jayalalithaa, of collecting a fortune beyond their known sources of income in the 1990s.
- They both were jailed for nearly a month in Bengaluru in 2015 after being convicted by a lower court, but they were let off by the Karnataka High Court.
- On 14 February 2017 The apex court in its judgement reverses the 2015 Karnataka HC verdict, and restores a trial court order of Rs 10-crore fine and confiscation of properties.
- She will spend four years in jail after which she can’t contest for 6 years. Proceedings against former CM Jayalalitha’s stand abated.
Daily GK: Top 5 Current Affairs for this Month
Kindly click on each of the following to view complete details of the latest current affairs.