Edappadi K. Palaniswami – New Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Edappadi K. Palanisamy is an Indian politician belongs to All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) of Tamil Nadu.
- The AIADMK leader is from Edappadi, a small town in Salem district born in 1954. He is a Gounder, one of the two main communities along with the Thevars that have influenced the party.
- On February 16, 2017 he assumed the office as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu after the recent political turmoil in the state.
E.K. Palaniswami : CM of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu Governor Ch Vidyasagar Rao on 16 February 2017 appointed Edappadi K Palaniswami as chief minister. The Governor invited him to form the ministry at the earliest.
- The governor requested the chief minister-designate to seek the vote confidence of the assembly within 15 days.
- His appointment is in acceptance of the “letter of submitted by Palaniswami on Tuesday that he was elected as the leader of the AIADMK legislature party at a meeting of the party MLAs held on that day,” a Raj Bhavan press note said.
E.K. Palaniswami : Political career
- He begun his political career in AIADMK in 1974. He has won four assembly elections from his Edappadi constituency—in 1989, 1991, 2011 and 2016.
- He contested and won the Lok Sabha seat from Tiruchengode in 1998.
- Palaniswami served as the Minister for Highways & Minor Ports in the Government of Tamil Nadu from 2011 to 2016.
- The Gounder community was a significant factor in the 2016 assembly elections. In Palaniswami’s Salem district, the AIADMK won in 10 of the total 11 constituencies.
E.K Palaniswami : Political uncertainty and way to CM post
- After the death of Ms Jayalalithaa due to illness, O. Panneerselvam sworn in as CM of TN on 6th December 2016.
- On 5th February 2017, Ms VK Sasikala unanimously selected as the legislative party leader by AIADMK legislators and set to become CM of Tamil Nadu and political turmoil started after the rift between O.Panneerselvam and VK Sasikala.
- Supreme court convicted Ms Sasikala in disproportionate asset case and sentenced to 4 years imprisonment, it ends her bid to become CM.
- Palaniswami, Sasikala’s loyalist is all set to be the new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu after the 124 legislators shown their support to him as per the statement after the apex court’s verdict.
EK Palaniswami : Challenges
- He has to prove his majority in the TN Assembly within 15 days after sworn in as CM of Tamil Nadu.
- Palaniswami has a major challenge of uniting the party legislators after the rift between the leaders- Sasikala and Panneerselvam.