Daily GK Digest – March 9th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
For viewing Daily GK Updates >> CLICK HERE
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for March 9th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
INS Tillanchang commissioned to Indian Navy
- INS Tillanchang, a Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC) was commissioned into the Indian Navy by Vice Admiral Girish Luthra, the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief Western Naval Command, at Karwar today.
- INS Tillanchang is the third ship of four follow-on WJFAC built by the Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Kolkata.
- The first two ships of the class, IN ships Tarmugli and Tihayu were commissioned in 2016 and are based at Visakhapatnam.
- The ship has been indigenously designed and built and is an upgrade from the Chetlat class of Fast Attack Craft that the Indian Navy possesses.
- INS Tillanchang will be based at Karwar under the operational control of the Flag Officer Commanding, Karnataka Naval Area.
Aadhaar mandatory for Crop Insurance
- The government has made Aadhaar mandatory for availing crop insurance policies from the upcoming kharif sowing season.
- The Agriculture Ministry has issued a directive to rural financial institutes to comply with the new rule from the kharif (summer) season starting April 1.
- Government has also directed the union and State Agriculture Ministries to open Aadhar-enrollment centres at various convenient locations to enable smooth and quick enrollment.
- Government has identified around 19.4 million hectares of land for the ambitious Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY).
RBI to issue new Rs 10 notes with more security features
- The Reserve Bank of India has decided to issue a new note of Rs. 10 denomination with enhanced security features for circulation.
- The RBI today said the banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi series-2005 are to carry inset letter ‘L’ on both number panels, bearing the signature of Governor Urjit Patel.
- Among other features, numerals on both the panels will be in ascending size from left to right.
- The first three alpha-numeric characters (prefix) will remain constant in size.
- “All the banknotes in the denomination of Rs. 10 issued by the Bank in the past will continue to be legal tender,” the Reserve Bank said in a notification.
India and Belgium sign Protocol amending the India-Belgium DTAA and Protocol
- India and Belgium have signed a Protocol amending the existing Agreement and Protocol between the two countries for Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income today in New Delhi.
- The Protocol was signed by Shri Sushil Chandra, Chairman Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) on behalf of India and Mr. Jan Luykx, Ambassador of Belgium to India, on behalf of Belgium.
- The Protocol will broaden the scope of the existing framework of exchange of tax related information.
- This in turn will help curb tax evasion and tax avoidance between the two countries and will also enable mutual assistance in collection of taxes.
Lok Sabha Passes Maternity Benefits Bill
- Lok Sabha unanimously passes Maternity Benefits (Amendment) Bill, 2016 by voice vote. in the second part of the Budget session of parliament which started today.
- After clause by clause voting on the Bill, Speaker Sumitra Mahajan adjourns the House for tomorrow.
- The Act provides maternity leave up to 12 weeks for all women. The Bill extends this period to 26 weeks. However, a woman with two or more children will be entitled to 12 weeks of maternity leave.
- The Bill requires every establishment with 50 or more employees to provide for crèche facilities within a prescribed distance. The woman will be allowed four visits to the crèche in a day.