Daily GK Digest – March 7th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
For viewing Daily GK Updates >> CLICK HERE
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for March 7th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Fisherman shot dead by Lankan navy
- A 22-year-old fisherman, named Bridgo, a resident of Thangachimadam in central Rameswaram of Tamil Nadu was shot dead yesterday allegedly while he was fishing in a mechanised boat at a short distance off Katchatheevu islet.
- India has reacted strongly to the incident of fatal shooting of its fisherman allegedly by the Sri Lankan Navy.
- The Sri Lankan Navy has promised a full and thorough investigation, Indian Highcommissioner in Colombo said.
- Meanwhile, tension prevailed in the area as fishermen from Thangachimadam coastal hamlet gathered in front of the hospital to protest the firing by the Sri Lankan navy.
IORA summit: India presses for isolating backers of terrorism
- India, along with 20 other countries sharing the strategically vital Indian Ocean pledged each other a support to counter terrorism and violent extremism.
- Taking up the issue in 20th Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) summit in Jakarta, all the 21 nations also agreed to share information and best practices in this endeavour.
- Representing India at the summit, Vice President Md Hamid Ansari sought “zero-tolerance” towards state-sponsored terrorism and, in an apparent reference to Pakistan, asked them to isolate the backers of the menace.
- Apart from this, the IORA Jakarta Concord also came up with an action plan to promote regional cooperation for a peaceful, stable and prosperous Indian ocean.
US President signs for ‘Muslim Ban 2.0’ order
- The Donald Trump administration issued a new executive order on Monday, temporarily banning travel from six Muslim majority countries to the United States, after an earlier order ran foul of the country’s judiciary.
- The new executive order bans travel from Sudan, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen, leaving out Iraq that was also in the list of barred countries in the January order.
- In an attempt to pass the next round of inevitable judicial scrutiny, current visa and green card holders from these countries will not be affected by this order.
- The new order also avoids the preferential treatment offered to Christian refugees in the earlier order.
OPPO gets Indian cricket team’s sponsorship
- Mobile manufacturer OPPO India Pvt Ltd has been awarded the Indian cricket team’s sponsorship rights for five years, starting April.
- The decision was announced on Tuesday after the bid documents of all the aspirants were opened at the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) headquarters.
- The BCCI had set a base price of Rs. 2.2 crore a game for all the bilateral games and Rs. 70 lakh for every ICC tournament match India would feature in till March 2022.
- The base price was 15% higher than Rs 1.92 crore (Rs. 61 lakh for ICC games) that were being paid by Star India Pvt. Ltd.
India beats Australia by 75 runs
- Australia lost the 2nd test of the Border-Gavaskar series to India by 75 runs in Bangalore.
- Ravichandran Ashwin claimed 6 Australian wickets for 41 runs in 2nd innings and it was his 25th Five wicket haul.
- In 1st innings India scored 189 runs and Australia scored 276 runs. India put the score of 274 with the help of Pujara’s 92, and 188 was the target for Australia to win the match.
- Australia bundled out for 112 in the last innings and India won the match by 75 runs. KL Rahul awarded as the Man of the Match.