Daily GK Digest – March 2nd, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
For viewing Daily GK Updates >> CLICK HERE
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for March 2nd, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Maiden Anti-Ship Missile launch by Kalvari
- The Indian Navy, successfully conducted the maiden firing of an Anti-Ship missile from the first of the indigenously built Kalvari class submarines, during a test firing in the Arabian Sea.
- The missile successfully hit a surface target at extended ranges during the trial firing, held today morning.
- This missile launch is a significant milestone in Indian Navy’s sub-surface warfare capability.
- All six Kalvari class submarines being built in India will be equipped with this anti-ship missile, which has a proven record in combat.
Jaishankar meets U.S. NSA, discusses bilateral ties
- Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar met U.S. National Security Advisor Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster and discussed counter-terrorism and bilateral relations.
- Mr. Jaishankar also met Speaker of the House of Representatives Paul Ryan and discussed various issues, including ways to enhance economic and defence cooperation between the two countries.
- “The relationship between the U.S. and India is rooted in shared values of democracy and freedom,” Mr. Ryan said in a statement.
- Mr. Jaishankar arrived in the U.S. on Tuesday and will hold talks with top officials of the Trump administration and lawmakers.
- This is his third trip to the U.S. after Mr. Trump was elected President.
Volcano Mt Etna erupts
- Mount Etna, the famous Sicilian volcano, has erupted for the first time in more than year.
- The highest volcano in Europe burst into life and continued to produce fountains of bright orange lava.
- The relatively small eruption was not sufficiently powerful to cause any problems for residential centres near the peak, on the eastern side of the island, and the nearby airport at Catania continued to operate normally.
GST Council proposes to raise tax peak rate to 20%
- The GST Council has proposed to raise the peak tax rate to 20 per cent, from the current 14 per cent, in the model goods and services tax Bill to prevent the requirement of approaching Parliament for any change in rates in future.
- The 4-slab rate structure of 5, 12, 18 and 28 per cent agreed upon last year will, however, remain unchanged.
- The GST Council, headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and comprising representatives of all states, has agreed to keep the upper band of the rate in the law at 20 per cent.
- The government is looking at GST roll out from July 1, 2017.
JNU wins the visitor’s awards for the Best University, 2017
- Jawaharlal Nehru University has won the annual Visitor’s Award for the ‘Best University’, 2017.
- Dr. Deepak Pant from Central University of Himachal Pradesh won the Visitor’s Award for ‘Innovation’ while the Visitor’s Award for ‘Research’ has been jointly won by Dr. Shyam Sunder from Banaras Hindu University and Prof. Niranjan Karak from Tezpur University.
- The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee will present the Visitor’s Awards for the year 2017 at a function to be held at Rashtrapati Bhavan on March 6, 2017.
- The ‘Best University’ will receive a Citation and Trophy while winners of Visitor’s Award for ‘Innovation’ and ‘Research’ will receive a Citation and cash award of Rs. one lakh.