Daily GK Digest – March 10th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
For viewing Daily GK Updates >> CLICK HERE
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for March 10th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
SC issues arrest warrant against Justice Karnan in contempt case
- In an unprecedented order, the Supreme Court on Friday issued an arrest warrant against serving Calcutta High Court judge C S Karnan to ensure his presence before it on March 31 in a contempt case.
- The bench directed the West Bengal Director General of Police to personally execute the arrest warrant on Justice Karnan to ensure his presence before it on March 31, the next date of hearing.
- Justice Karnan was on February 8 directed to show up in court to respond to a contempt notice, issued by a suo motu proceeding for writing letters, in which he levelled corruption charges against several sitting and retired judges.
ISRO’s lost Chandrayaan-1 is still orbiting the moon : NASA
- India’s first lunar probe ‘the Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft’ which was considered lost, is still orbiting the Moon, NASA scientists revealed after using a new ground-based radar technique to spot the spacecraft.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) lost communication with Chandrayaan-1 on August 29, 2009, almost a year after it was launched on October 22, 2008.
- Now, scientists at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in California have successfully located the spacecraft still circling some 200 kilometres above the lunar surface.
- The Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft is very small, a cube of about 1.5 meters on each side.
Centre issues draft rules on e-wallet payments
- The Centre has issued draft rules to ensure integrity, security and confidentiality of electronic payments made through prepaid payment instruments (PPIs), popularly called e-wallets.
- The draft rules, on which the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has sought public comments, make it mandatory for e-PPI (electronic pre-payment instrument) issuers to develop an information security policy that ensures that the systems operated by them are secure.
New canyon system close to Andhra coast : NIO
- Scientists of CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) have found three new canyons forming a major canyon system in the depths of Bay of Bengal close to Kovvada in Srikakulam district.
- The finding has been evading them since the last 50 years, and for the first time they have clearly mapped the ocean floor between Visakhapatnam and Srikakulam by sending over 32 high density beams to the depths of the sea.
- The last canyon systems off the Visakhapatnam coast were discovered in 1963 by American geologist E.C. LaFond of U.S. Navy Electronics Laboratory, who was carrying out marine studies at Andhra University. The data was collected on board research ship Anton Bruun.
Saraswati Samman for Konkani writer
- Eminent Konkani writer Mahabaleshwar Sail has been honoured with the Saraswati Samman 2016 for his novel Hawthan.
- The 74-year-old’s novel was shortlisted out of 22 books written in as many languages. The award carries a cash prize of ₹15 lakh and a citation.
- Mr. Sail is a bilingual writer who has four Marathi dramas and seven Konkani novels to his credit. He has also written five short stories and a novel in Marathi.
- The Saraswati Samman is an annual award for outstanding prose or poetry literary works in any 22 Indian language listed in Schedule VIII of the Constitution of India.