Daily GK Digest – January 28-30th, 2017 for top current affairs.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for January 28th-30th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs
SC appoints Vinod Rai panel to run BCCI
- The Supreme Court today appointed a four-member Committee of Administrators, led by former Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai, to run the BCCI.
- Noted historian Ramachandra Guha, former Indian women’s team captain Diana Edulji and managing director of IDFC Limited Vikram Limaye are the other administrators.
- Mr. Rai’s first task will be to find out how much the BCCI has complied with the recommendations made by the Justice R.M. Lodha Committee.
- The Committee of Administrators will then scrutinise the compliance and place a report before the Supreme Court within four weeks.
GAAR to take effect from 1st April 2017
- The General Anti-Avoidance Rules (GAAR), which seek to prevent companies from routing transactions through other countries to avoid taxes, will be implemented from April 2017 said by CBDT.
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes has issued fresh set of clarifications on implementation of GAAR, to allay investors’ apprehensions about the norms that are aimed to prevent abuse of India’s tax treaties with other countries.
- General Anti-Avoidance Rule (GAAR) was part of the 2012-13 Budget speech of the then Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee to check tax evasion and avoidance.
- However, its implementation was repeatedly postponed because of the apprehensions expressed by foreign investors.
Miss France crowned Miss Universe 2016
- A 23-year-old dental student Iris Mittenaere, from France has won the Miss Universe crown in the annual pageant held this year in the Philippines.
- Miss Haiti, Raquel Pelissier, a 25-year-old survivor of the devastating 2010 earthquake that destroyed her hometown, was named first runner up.
- Miss Colombia, 23-year-old, Andrea Tovar, was named as second runner up.
- The pageant changed its format this year; it had 12 instead of 13 finalists, and counted online votes from the Miss Universe app and Twitter.
SAARC Member States To Meet In Nepal This Week
- Senior officials of the eight member states of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) will meet in Kathmandu this week to attend the Programming Committee.
- This will be the first meeting of the SAARC member countries since the postponement of the 19th SAARC summit in Islamabad last November, officials said on Sunday.
- During the meeting, SAARC member states will discuss a number of issues including the budget of the SAARC Secretariat and five regional centers of SAARC, Xinhua news agency quoted officials of the Nepalese Ministry of Foreign Affairs as saying.
- SAARC is a regional body founded in 1985 in South Asia, comprising Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
Former Foreign Minister SM Krishna Quits Congress
- Former Karnataka Chief Minister and Central Foreign Affairs Minister SM Krishna has quit the Indian National Congress.
- The leader, who had been one of the towering figures of the Congress for nearly 50 years, had quit Saturday, miffed that he was being sidelined in the party.
- The senior leaders of the state Congress, including Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and state party chief G Parameshwara had said they were unaware of Mr Krishna’s decision.
- Mr Krishna served as CM of Karnataka (1999-2004), Minister of External Affairs (2009-12) and Governor of Maharashtra (2004-08) in his political career.