Daily GK Digest – January 25th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for January 25th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Guided PINAKA Successfully Test Fired
- DRDO successfully test fired the Guided PINAKA from Launch Complex-III, ITR, Chandipur, Tuesday at 12:45 PM for further enhanced range. PINAKA Rocket Mark-II, equipped with navigation, guidance and control kit, is transformed to a Guided PINAKA.
- The conversion has facilitated to enhance the range and improve the accuracy of PINAKA.
- The Mission met all the objectives. The Radars, Electro Optical and Telemetry Systems at ITR Chandipur tracked and monitored the vehicle all through the flight path.
- The guided PINAKA is developed combinedly by ARDE Pune, RCI and DRDL, Hyderabad. ITR, Chandipur provided the range and launch support.
CMs Committee on Digital Payments presents interim report to the Prime Minister
- The CMs Committee on Digital Payments led by the convener and Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister, Shri Chandra Babu Naidu submitted the interim report on Digital Payments to the Prime Minister on Tuesday.
- Chief Ministers of Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Sikkim along with the Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog Shri Arvind Panagariya and CEO NITI Aayog Shri Amitabh Kant were present on the occasion.
- Later addressing a Press Conference at NITI Aayog, the convener of the CMs Committee on Digital Payments Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister, Shri Chandra Babu Naidu shared the highlights of the recommendations in the interim report.
- The panel recommended Rs 1,000 subsidy for purchase of smartphones by non-tax assesses and small merchants, and a cash transaction tax on withdrawals of Rs 50,000 and above in banks to encourage digital payments.
- Committee also made a case of lower/zero merchant discount rate (MDR) for all digital payments to government entities and cap on cash in all type of big ticket transactions.
Election Commission of India celebrates 7th National Voters’ Day
- Election Commission of India celebrates 7th National Voters’ Day with theme “ Empowering Young & Future Voters”.
- Pointing out that in the last General Elections in 2014, over 66% of the total electorate of 834 million voted, the President, Pranab Mukherjee congratulated the Election Commission on the successful conduct of this huge exercise.
- He also congratulated Indian voters for exercising their right to vote and showing utmost maturity in doing so.
- 25th January , celebrated as the National Voters’ Day. NVD aims at increasing enrolment of voters, especially newly eligible young voter (18-19 years) & ensure universal adult franchise for all.
- NVD is being celebrated since 2011 on 25th January , the foundation Day of Election Commission of India (25th January ,1950).
Padma Awards 2017 announced
- Padma Awards – one of the highest civilian Awards of the country, are conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri.
- The Awards are given in various disciplines/ fields of activities, viz.- art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc.
- ‘Padma Vibhushan’ is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service; ‘Padma Bhushan’ for distinguished service of high order and ‘Padma Shri’ for distinguished service in any field. The awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year.
- This year the President of India has approved conferment of Padma Awards to 89 persons. The list comprises of 7 Padma Vibhushan, 7 Padma Bhushan and 75 Padma Shri Awardees.
US president calls Indian Prime Minister
- During a call with Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India, President Trump emphasized that the United States considers India a true friend and partner in addressing challenges around the world.
- The two discussed opportunities to strengthen the partnership between the United States and India in broad areas such as the economy and defense.
- They also discussed security in the region of South and Central Asia. President Trump and Prime Minister Modi resolved that the United States and India stand shoulder to shoulder in the global fight against terrorism.
- President Trump looked forward to hosting Prime Minister Modi in the United States later this year as per reports.