Daily GK Digest – January 24th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for January 24th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Cabinet approves Indian Institute of Management Bill, 2017
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the Indian Institute of Management(IIM) Bill, 2017, under which the IIMs would be declared as Institutions of National Importance.
- The Bill provides for complete autonomy to the Institutions, combined with adequate accountability and IIMs can grant degrees to their students.
- The Bill also contains, Management of these Institutions would be Board driven, with the Chairperson and Director of an Institution which will be selected by the Board.
- Till now IIMs are not authorized to award degrees and hence, they have been awarding Post Graduate Diploma and Fellow Programme in Management.
Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana 2017 (VPBY 2017)
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its post-facto approval for launching of Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana 2017 (VPBY 2017).
- It is a part of Government’s commitment for financial inclusion and social security.
- The scheme will be implemented through Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) during the current financial year to provide social security during old age and protect elderly persons aged 60 years and above against a future fall in their interest income due to uncertain market conditions.
- The scheme will provide an assured pension based on a guaranteed rate of return of 8% per annum for ten years, with an option to opt for pension on a monthly / quarterly / halfyearly and annual basis.
National Girl Child Day
- The Ministry of Women & Child Development celebrated the National Girl Child Day at a special function in New Delhi today. The theme of the program was Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi underlined the need to reject gender discrimination and ensure equal opportunities as he extended greetings on the occasion of Girl Child Day.
- With a commendable performance at the Olympics and Paralympics and a historic induction of the first female fighter pilots into the Indian Air Force, it has truly been a proud year for India.
Japan Launches Defence Communications Satellite
- Japan today launched a satellite to modernise its military communications and reportedly to better monitor North Korean missile launches.
- The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. launched the X-band Kirameki-2 satellite aboard the H-2A Launch Vehicle No.32 from the Tanegashima Space Centre in Kagoshima prefecture, Xinhua news agency reported.
- It is the first satellite Japan’s Ministry of Defence, which shoulders the mission to upgrade the Self-Defence Forces’ (SDF) communications network.
- Japan and China are locked in a territorial dispute in the East China Sea over a group of uninhabited islands known as the Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China.
‘BHARAT PARV’ being Organized at Red Fort from 26th to 31st January 2017
- The “Bharat Parv” event is being organized by the Government of India at the Red Fort, Delhi from 26th to 31st January 2017, as part of the Republic Day 2017Celebrations.
- The prime objective of organizing the event is to generate a patriotic mood, promote the rich cultural diversity of the country, to ensure wider participation of the general public and to popularise the idea of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat.
- The Ministry of Tourism has been designated as the nodal Ministry for the event.
- The Bharat Parv Event will be inaugurated at 5:00 p.m. on 26th January 2017 and will be open to the public from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m, on 26th January 2017 and from 12 noon to 9 p.m. from 27th to 31st January 2017.