Daily GK Digest – January 20th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for January 20th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
ISKCON’s Govardhan eco village bags UN award
- ISKCON’s Govardhan eco village at nearby Wada taluka in Thane district has been conferred the United Nations award for taking innovative measures of ’sustainable tourism’ in country.
- This is for the first time India has won such recognition from the UN in the NGO sector, an ISKCON release said on Friday.
- The award was presented at the annual United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Tourism at Madrid in Spain on Thursday.
- H H Radhanath Swami Maharaj, founder of Govardhan Eco Village, said the award is for its initiative of eco tourism as a catalyst for rural development.
Shri Alok Kumar Verma Appointed as New CBI Director
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Shri Alok Kumar Verma as the new CBI Director.
- Mr. Verma’s appointment will be for a period of two years from the date of assumption of charge of his office.
- Shri Alok Kumar Verma, currently Delhi Police commissioner, is a 1979 batch Indian Police Service officer of the Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territory (AGMUT) cadre.
6.8-Magnitude Earthquake Hits Off Solomon Islands
- A 6.8-magnitude earthquake hit off the Solomon Islands on Friday, seismologists said, with officials in the Pacific island nation saying there were no initial reports of damage.
- The US Geological Survey said quake struck at 10:04 am local time (2304 GMT Thursday) at a depth of 33 kilometres (20 miles) some 70 kilometres west of Kirakira- the same region where several large tremors struck last month.
- The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said there was no tsunami threat from the latest shake.
- The Solomon Islands are part of the Pacific “Ring of Fire”, a zone of tectonic activity known for frequent quakes and volcanic eruptions.
India beats US, No. 1 in Google Play app usage
- Mobile users in India downloaded the most number of apps from Google Play app store in 2016.
- With over 6 billion app downloads, India, which was in the third position in 2015, surpassed the US, according to a report by global app analytics firm App Annie.
- Brazil took the third spot with a little over 5 billion downloads.
- China is not part of the Google Play (Android) rankings because the country has blocked Google. However, it was Number one in iOS (Apple) app store downloads.
President Inaugurates 28TH Dantan Gramin Mela -2017
- The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the 28th Dantan Gramin Mela -2017 at Dantan, Paschim Medinipur, West Bengal yesterday (19th January, 2017).
- Speaking on the occasion, the President Pranab Mukherjee expressed concern over growing tensions and difference of opinion in society.
- Referring to the violence in different parts of the world, the President said the general trend of human society is for people to love each other and co-exist, not spread hatred.
- President said, Rural fairs like Dantan Gramin Mela promote brotherhood, harmony and peaceful co-existence among people. They reflect the eternal wisdom of rural areas and increase friendship amongst different sections of society.