Daily GK Digest – January 19th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for January 19th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Indian AIR Force and Royal AIR Force of OMAN Chiefs review exercise eastern BRIDGE-IV
- The Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa and Commander of Royal Air Force of Oman (RAFO) Air Vice Marshal Matar Ali Matar Al-Qbaidani reviewed the progress of fourth joint Indo-Oman Air Exercise Eastern Bridge IV at Air Force Station Jamnagar which commenced on 16 Jan 2017.
- During review the Chief of the Air Staff and Commander of Royal Air Force of Oman (RAFO) interacted with the participating crew and held bilateral discussions.
- The Royal Air Force of Oman (RAFO) is participating with five F-16 Block 50 Air Defence Fighters belonging to No. 18 Squadron based at Thumrait.
- IAF is participating in the exercise with Su-30 MKI Air Dominance Fighters, MiG-29 Air Superiority Fighters, Jaguar Maritime Strike aircraft and MiG-27 aircraft.
- This is the first time that RAFO F-16s are participating in an air exercise outside the Gulf Countries.
Festival of India to be Organized in the Netherlands
- A Festival of India is being organized in the Netherlands from 26 January – 27 March 2017.
- The Festival will showcase diverse Indian culture, i.e. classical and folk dances, music, and exhibition on handmade ethnically sourced silk clothes and accessories.
- The events will be held in the cities of The Hague, Amsterdam, Rotterdam/Maastricht, Utrecht, Eindhoven and Groningen.
Union HRD Minister launches ‘ShaGun’
- The Union HRD Minister Shri Prakash Javadekar launched a dedicated web portal ‘ShaGun’ for the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan at New Delhi Wednesday.
- ‘ShaGun’ aims to capture and showcase innovations and progress in Elementary Education sector of India by continuous monitoring of the flagship scheme – Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA).
- The Union HRD Minister also unveiled the ‘Toolkit for Master Trainers in Preparing Teachers for Inclusive Education for Children with Special Needs’, which has been prepared by World Bank in collaboration with Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- He highlighted that this first-of-its kind platform will give due recognition to people, State governments, schools, teachers working towards improving Elementary Education across the country.
Robot journalist: first article published
- A robot journalist made its debut in a Chinese daily on Thursday with a 300 characters-long article written in just a second, scientists said.
- The article, published in the Guangzhou-based Southern Metropolis Daily, focused on the Spring Festival travel rush.
- Its author, Xiao Nan, took only a second to finish writing the piece and is able to write both short stories and longer reports, according to Wan Xiaojun, a professor at Peking University who leads the team studying and developing such robots.
- “When compared with the staff reporters, Xiao Nan has a stronger data analysis capacity and is quicker at writing stories,” he said.
New Mobile App Developed To Help Fishermen
- An app under the aegis of the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) has been developed to aid fishermen to increase their catch and reduce the cost of operations, the developers said.
- Named mKRISHI@AFisheries, it is a mobile advisory service providing information related to the sea, with the app making fishing activities less expensive and environment friendly, the developers said.
- The app provides information on Potential Fishing Zone (PFZ), sea surface temperature, weather and the presence of phytoplankton which form the food of several fish species.
- The app consolidates these information and presents advisories in local languages, with easy to use icons on Java and Android mobile phones.
- It has been developed by the Mumbai Research Centre of the CMFRI and materialised by Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) and the Tata Consultancy Service (TCS) under the National Agriculture Innovation Project (NAIP)