Daily GK Digest – January 17th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for January 17th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
‘SEZ India’ launched by Commerce Ministry
- A Mobile app named “SEZ India” has been launched by the Commerce Secretary.
- SEZ Division, Department of Commerce under its broader e-Governance initiative i.e. SEZ Online System, has developed mobile app for Special Economic Zones (SEZs).
- The app is available on Android Platform for use by SEZ Developers, Units, officials and others.
- The app has four sections i.e. SEZ Information, SEZ Online Transaction, Trade Information, and Contact details.
- Now the SEZ Developers & Units can file all their transactions digitally through SEZ Online system and track the status on the go through the SEZ India mobile app.
India & Mauritius Sign MoU for Cooperation in the field of Cooperatives
- The Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Shri Radha Mohan Singh and Minister of Business, Enterprise and Cooperatives, Govt. of Mauritius, Shri Soomilduth Bholah signed on MoU for Cooperation in the field of Cooperatives & related areas here on Monday.
- The MoU will enable the two countries to collaborate in this vital sector and can significantly benefit thousands of Mauritians.India offered to exchange its expertise and technology with Mauritius in agro industry, fisheries and dairy sector.
- The two ministers expressed satisfaction at the historic, time-tested relationship between India and Mauritius which is anchored in linkages of culture and ancestry has grown from strength to strength over the years.
Ministry of Earth Sciences Commissions Higher Resolution Weather Prediction Model
- The Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) has commissioned a very high resolution (12 km) global deterministic weather prediction model for generating operational weather forecasts.
- The present model replaces the earlier version which had a horizontal resolution of 25 km.
- The operational Ensemble Prediction System (EPS) currently has a horizontal resolution of about 25 km.
- The Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) provides Weather, Climate and Hydrological Services to various users round the year and 24/7.
GST deadlock ends and likely to roll out from July 1.
- In a significant breakthrough, the deadlock over administration of GST ended on monday after the Centre agreed to allow states control over most of small taxpayers, but the rollout date was pushed back by 3 months to July 1.
- The split of GST taxpayers between the two will be done horizontally with states getting to administer and control 90 per cent of the asseesses below Rs 1.5 crore annual turnover, and the remaining 10 per cent coming under the Centre.
- The Centre and states will share control of assessees with annual turnover of over Rs 1.5 crore in 50:50 ratio even as Finance Minister insisted that each tax payer will be assessed only once and by only one authority.
- Minister said the draft of Integrated GST or IGST, the tax which will be levied by the Centre on inter-state movement of goods and services, as well as SGST and CGST will be finalised in the next meeting of the GST Council on February 18.
69th Army day celebrated
- Indian Army celebrated its 69th Army Day on Sunday.
- General Bipin Rawat, Chief of the Army Staff reviewed the Army Day Parade at the Cariappa Parade Ground, Delhi Cantonment.
- Army General awarded fifteen Sena Medals for individual acts of Gallantry and fourteen COAS Unit Citations for commendable performance of their respective units.
- Every year Indian Army celebrates 15th January as ‘Army Day’ to commemorate the day when General (later Field Marshal) K.M Carriappa took over the command of Army from General Sir F.R.R Bucher, the last British Commander-in-Chief in 1949 and became the first Commander-in-Chief of Indian Army post Independence.