Daily GK Digest – January 12th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for January 12th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
National Youth day celebration to commemorate Swami Vivekananda’s birth anniversary
- Today, January 12th, National Youth Day celebrated all over the country to commemorate birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
- To celebrate this day, the 21st National Youth Festival was held in Rohtak, Haryana. The theme this Festival was ‘Youth for Digital India’.
- The Government of India declared birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda as the National Youth Day in 1984 and since then the day is celebrated in India every year.
- Swami Vivekenanda has inspired millions of youth during his era and continue to do so. His teachings have had far and wife effects on lives of people.
- Swami Vivekananda was born on 12th January in the year 1863.
Khanderi, Scorpene class submarine launched
- Khanderi, India’s second French-designed Scorpene-class diesel-electric attack submarine was launched at Mumbai’s Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited today.
- The submarine boasts of a superior stealth and the ability to launch a crippling attack with torpedoes as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles whilst underwater or on surface.
- It can undertake multifarious types of missions typically undertaken by any modern submarine, i.e anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying, area surveillance, etc.
- Kalvari, India’s first Scorpene-class submarine, is completing sea trials and will be commissioned shortly, the Indian Navy has said. It was acquired by the Navy in September last year. The other four submarines are expected to be launched at nine-month intervals after the Khanderi.
- It has been named Khanderi, after the Island fort of Maratha ruler Chhatrapati Shivaji which played had vital role in ensuring their supremacy at sea in late 17th century. Khanderi is also name for Tiger Shark.
Air India to reserve seats for women in domestic flights
- Air India will soon start reserving seats for women in domestic flights as per the reports.
- Six seats on every domestic flight will be reserved for women from January 18, as per ANI reports.
- This is perhaps the first time in the world that seats will be reserved only for women passengers on planes. However, other modes of transport in India, including local and long-distance trains, metros and buses have reserved berths, seats or coaches for women.
- Air India is the flag carrier airline of India and the third-largest airline in India in terms of passengers carried, after IndiGo and Jet Airways.
China Launches New Electronic Intelligence Naval Ship
- China’s Navy has launched a new electronic reconnaissance ship, Chinese media said on today, the latest addition to an expanding fleet and as Beijing’s new assertiveness to territorial claims in the South China Sea fuels tensions.
- The People’s Liberation Army (PLA) now operates six electronic reconnaissance vessels, the official English-language China Daily newspaper said, noting that the PLA “has never made public so many details about its intelligence collection ships”.
- Last year, the PLA Navy commissioned 18 ships, including missile destroyers, corvettes and guided missile frigates, the paper said.
- Regional naval officials say Chinese ships now increasingly track and shadow US and Japanese warships in the South China and East China seas, even during routine deployments.
Festival of India to be organised in Ghana from Jan 25th to Mar 16th
- A Festival of India is being organised in Ghana from January 25 to March 16, 2017 as per PIB report.
- The activities of the Festival include amalgamation of Indian classical dances, Sufi & Folk Music, and Saptarang – confluence of seven classical dance forms culminating in Vande Matram.
- To complete the experience, a Food Festival, Yoga and Meditation, Film Festival will also be organised during the Festival.
- The Festival events are being showcased in four cities of Accra, Kumasi, Cape Coast, Takoradi in Ghana.