Daily GK Digest – January 10th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for January 10th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Pakistan test fires sea based nuclear capable cruise missile
- Pakistan conducted its first successful test-fire of Submarine Launched Cruise Missile (SLCM), capable of carrying a nuclear warhead from an undisclosed location in the Indian Ocean, giving the country a “credible” second strike capability, the Pakistan military said.
- The missile, Babur-3, with a range of 450 kilometers was fired from an underwater, mobile platform and hit its target with precise accuracy, the Inter Services Public Relations, the media wing of the Pakistani military said in a statement.
- Babur-3 is a sea-based variant of Ground Launched Cruise Missile (GLCM) Babur-2, which was successfully tested earlier in December, last year.
- The Babur-3 SLCM incorporates state-of-the-art technologies including underwater controlled propulsion and advanced guidance and navigation features, duly augmented by Global Navigation, Terrain and Scene Matching Systems.
National Youth Festival to be held at Rhotak from 12th to 16th January 2017
- Department of Youth Affairs of Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, organizes every year the National Youth Festival on the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, the greatest Youth Icon from 12th to 16th January.
- Union Minister for Youth Affairs & Sports Shri Vijay Goel, in a statement said that this year the 21st National Youth Festival is being organised in Rohtak, Haryana from 12th to 16th January, 2017.
- The theme of this year youth festival is ‘Youth for Digital India’.
- It is expected that about 5000 youth delegates from different States/UTs will enrich their knowledge and experience in the festival and will take with them the rich culture and heritage of the Nation.
PM inaugurates India’s first International exchange
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi Monday inaugurated India’s first international exchange – India INX – at the International Financial Service Centre (IFSC) of GIFT City.
- A subsidiary of Bombay Stock Exchange, India INX is one of the world’s most advanced technology platforms with a turn-around-time of 4 micro seconds which will operate for 22 hours a day, allowing international investors and NRIs to trade from anywhere across the globe.
- INX will trade initially in equity derivatives, currency derivatives, commodity derivatives including index and stocks. It plans to offer depository receipts and bonds later.
- PM, after opening the exchange by sounding the virtual gong, termed it as a “momentous occasion for Indian financial sector”.
Election Commission gives direction on hoardings of poll bound states
- The poll panel has asked for the photos to either be removed or “cover suitably” in the hoardings that publicise achievements of a party or functionary in keeping with the model code of conduct.
- EC said photos in advertisements or hoardings of similar type should also be removed or “covered suitably” so that spirit of its instructions is fully complied with.
- It, however, made it clear that hoardings put up by the government which convey general message to the masses on family planning or social welfare schemes “may be allowed to be displayed”.
- Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Goa and Manipur will vote for new assemblies beginning February 4. Results will be out on March 11.
Ronaldo wins FIFA best player award for 4th time
- Cristiano Ronaldo received FIFA’s best player award for the fourth time, after Portugal and Real Madrid won both major European titles in 2016.
- He beat runner-up and great rival Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann to complete a sweep of top individual awards.
- Ronaldo got 34.54 per cent of total voting points in a 23-candidate ballot. Messi received 26.42 per cent, and third-place Griezmann got 7.53 per cent. Voting was by national team captains and coaches, selected media, and fans online.
- Ronaldo’s 2016 trophy haul included the European Championship, Champions League, and Club World Cup, plus individual best player awards from UEFA and France Football magazine.