Daily GK Digest – January 6th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for January 6th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Union Minister release 2017 Calendar of North Eastern Council
- The Union Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh released the 2017 Calendar of the North Eastern Council today.
- It carries the theme of “seasonal fruits” in different parts of the year as per reports.
- He also announced the formation of exclusive “North-Eastern Tourism Development Council” (NETDC) on a public-private partnership (PPP) mode under the auspices of Union Ministry of DoNER.
- This is for the first time that the Government has decided to set up a separate tourism development agency, devoted to a particular region of the country, minister said.
India and Kazakh sign Protocol to amend the Double Taxation Avoidance Convention (DTAC)
- India and Kazakhstan today signed Protocol to amend the existing Double Taxation Avoidance Convention (DTAC) between the two countries, reports said.
- Last time it was signed on 9th December, 1996 for the avoidance of double taxation and for the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
- The Protocol provides internationally accepted standards for effective exchange of information on tax matters. Further, the information received from Kazakhstan for tax purposes can be shared with other law enforcement agencies with authorization of the competent authority of Kazakhstan and vice versa.
- The Protocol inserts specific provisions to facilitate relieving of economic double taxation in transfer pricing cases and also it replaces existing Article on Assistance in Collection of Taxes with a new Article to align it with international standards.
Veteran actor Om Puri dies at 66
- Veteran actor Om Puri died today at the age of 66, after suffering a heart attack at his residence in Mumbai.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award in India, for his service to the film industry.
- Puri was known in India for his role in the movies such as Aakrosh (1980) and Ardh Satya (1982), for which he won the National Indian Film Award for Best Actor.
- He also acted in major Hollywood hits, featuring alongside the likes of Jack Nicholson, Tom Hanks and Patrick Swayze.
16th FSDC meeting held in New Delhi
- The 16th meeting of Financial Stability and Development Council(FSDC) held in New Delhi and chaired by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
- Meeting was attended by heads of all financial sector regulators as its members.
- FSDC established in 2010 by Central Government with the Union Finance Minister as its Chairman.
- It is chief regulator body for all the financial sector regulators such as RBI, SEBI, PFRDA, IRDA, etc.
Supreme Court Restrains Aircel-Maxis 2G spectrum deal
- The Supreme Court restrained transfer of 2G licences from Malaysia’s Maxis which was originally allotted to Aircel to any other telecom company, as per reports.
- A bench headed by Chief Justice J S Khehar also proposed to restrain earning of any revenue by using the 2G spectrum licences which were originally granted to Aircel in 2006.
- The apex court directed the government to publish its instant order in two leading newspapers in Malaysia
- Mr Subramaniyam Swamy has alleged that FIPB clearances to Aircel Maxis were granted illegally.