Daily GK Digest – January 5th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for January 5th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Mesentery, A New Human Organ discovered by scientists
- Irish scientists have recently identified a new human organ that has existed in the digestive system for hundreds of years, known as Mesentery.
- The organ connects the intestine to the abdomen and had for hundreds of years been considered a fragmented structure made up of multiple separate parts.
- Mesentery is a fold of the peritoneum which attaches the stomach, small intestine, pancreas, spleen, and other organs to the posterior wall of the abdomen.
- J Calvin Coffey, Professor at University of Limerick (Ireland), describe the mesentery as an undivided structure and outlined the evidence for categorising the mesentery as an organ in the paper published in the journal The Lancet Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
Festival of India being Organized in Cambodia from Jan 10th to Feb 16th
- A Festival of India is being organized in Cambodia from 10th January to 16th February, 2017. The activities of the Festival include Ramayana Performance, Rajasthani Folk Music & Dance Group (Dance Group plus Manganiyar Group), Classical Dance, as per PIB reports.
- A Buddhist Mahotsav – Exhibition titled Dhamma Darshana – to explore the life, teachings and important events connected with Lord Buddha and Photo Exhibition on Buddhist religious/heritage sites in India will also be organized.
- To complete the experience, a Food Festival will also be held.
- The Festival events are being showcased in three cities of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang in Cambodia.
Google has announced its Digital Unlocked skills programme in India
- In an SMB-focused event in Delhi yesterday, Google announced two new initiatives, including My Business Websites and Digital Unlocked.
- Digital Unlocked is a training programme in association with industry body FICCI, to provide Indian SMBs(Small and medium business) essential digital skills to get online and connect to customers in different parts of the country.
- Under the second programme called ‘My Business Websites’, Google will provide free websites and web tools to small businesses to help them bolster their digital presence.
- The company also launched a certification course for SMBs in collaboration with ISB. It will also partner with FICCI to conduct 5,000 workshops covering 40 cities in India over the next three years.
350th Prakash Parv-Guru Gobind Singh jayanti
- India is celebrating 350th birth anniversary, or ‘Prakash Parv’ of Shri Guru Gobind Singh today.
- The celebrations started at Patna, in Bihar, the birthplace of the Guru, Prime minister and other ministers being a part of celebrations.
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj was one of the ten revered Sikh gurus. He was a spiritual master, philosopher and poet. He is known to have fought bravely against injustice, social differences and tyrannical establishments.
- On March 30 in 1699, Guru Gobind Singh founded the Khalsa, it is the army of all initiated Sikhs, represented by five Sikh volunteers, named as Panj Pyaare or ‘five beloved ones’ by the Guru.
MS Dhoni steps down as T20 and ODI captain
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni, stepped down from the captaincy of T20 and ODI formats of Indian cricket team and paved the way for Virat Kohli to fill the position.
- MS Dhoni has informed the BCCI that he wishes to step down as the captain of the Indian cricket team for One-Day International and T20 International formats of the game, press statement of BCCI said.
- He will be available for selection as player for the ODI and T20 series against England and the same has been conveyed to the Senior Selection Committee, as per reports.
- Dhoni, who led India in a record 199 ODIs, won 110 and lost 74 matches, and he led the country in 72 of T20 internationals, winning 42 and losing 28.