Daily GK Digest – January 4th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for January 4th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
EC announces dates for assembly polls of five states
- The Election Commission today announces the poll dates for Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Manipur and Goa.
- Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi said that the state of Manipur will have a two-phase election and Uttar Pradesh will have a seven-phase election. There will be a single phase of elections in Uttarakhand, Panjab and Goa.
- Counting for all states will be held on 11 March.
- With the election commission announces the poll dates, model code of conduct has come into effect.
- Assembly strength of the poll bound states as follows: Goa-40, Punjab-117, UP-403, Uttarakhand-70, Manipur-60.
Deadlock continues over GST
- The deadlock over the Goods and Services Tax (GST) continued with the Centre and states refusing to budge from their respective positions on issues like control of tax payers and taxing high sea trade, a stalemate that threatens to delay the rollout till September.
- The two-day meeting of the all-powerful GST Council, the 8th in a row, made little headway in brokering a solution even as non-BJP ruled states saw September as more likely deadline for the rollout of the indirect tax regime.
- The next meeting of the GST Council, headed by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and comprising state representatives, on January 16 would discuss the issue of jurisdiction over assessees as well as try to reach a finality on taxation of territorial waters.
Indus water treaty: US asks Ind and Pak to work bilaterally
- John Kerry, US Secretary of State, spoke to Pakistani Finance Minister Mohammad Ishaq Dar over the phone regarding the Indus Waters Treaty issue and encouraged both South Asian neighbours Pakistan and India to work together to resolve their differences.
- As per the reports, however, he refused to entertain questions on if the US has offered help to India and Pakistan resolve the issue.
- Earlier, Pakistan had sought support of the US on the implementation of the Indus Waters Treaty (IWT) with India even as Secretary of State John Kerry had called for an amicable settlement of the issue between New Delhi and Islamabad.
Justice J.S. Khehar sworn in as 44th CJI
- Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar sworn in as 44th Chief Justice of Supreme Court today with subscription of oath by President of India.
- Justice Khehar succeeded Justice TS Thakur, who retired on January 3rd, 2017.
- He remains in power as CJI from 4th January 2017 to 4th August 2017, till he attains the age of 65 years.
- He worked as CJ of Highcourts of Punjab and Haryana, Uttarakhand and Karnataka before entering the Supreme Court.
RBI appoints Surekha Marandi as Executive Director
- The Reserve Bank of India has appointed Surekha Marandi as its Executive Director (ED) in place of U S Paliwal, who retired on December 31 last year, as per RBI reports.
- Marandi, who assumed charge, will look after Consumer Education and Protection Department, Financial Inclusion and Development Department, and Secretary’s Department.
- She has also served on the Boards of United Bank and Bank of Baroda. Prior to being promoted as ED, Marandi was Principal Chief General Manager and Chief Vigilance Officer in the Reserve Bank.