Daily GK Digest – February 9th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 9th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Pak hosts naval exercise in Arabian sea
- Multi-nation level naval exercise, code-named as Aman (peace)-17, the five-day long exercise, hosted by Pakistan will start from February 10, in the north Arabian Sea.
- Warships from various countries, including Russia, China and the United States, have arrived in the Arabian Sea near Karachi to take part in the exercise.
- Theme of the exercise is ‘Together for peace,’ according to Pakistan Navy.
- Pakistan has been organising such naval exercises since 2007 every alternate year. The current exercise is the fifth of the series and will be held from February 10-14.
Gujarat Becomes First State To Establish Cashless System
- Gujarat becomes first state in the country for establishing cashless distribution of food grain.
- Gujarat government installed Aadhaar Enabled Payment System in 17,250 Fair Price Shops (FPS) much before the target, March 31.
- In a meeting with Mr Paswan in January, state food ministers agreed to make arrangements to establish cashless system in the PDS by March 31.
- The beneficiaries under NFSA (National Food Security Act) will need to carry only Aadhaar cards for getting their food grain in Gujarat, as per press release.
US defence secretary and Indian defence ministers telephonic conversation
- US defence secretary James Mattis calls Indian defence minister Manohar Parrikar for the first time after Mattis was sworn in as the Defense Secretary of the US President Donald Trump last month.
- India and US have agreed to “sustain the momentum on key bilateral defence efforts” and expressed commitment to build upon the tremendous progress made in bilateral defence cooperation.
- Secretary Mattis and Minister Parrikar affirmed their commitment to sustain the momentum on key bilateral defense efforts to include the defense technology and trade initiative, as per Pentagon secretary.
Supreme Court directs Centre to preserve over 2 lakh wetlands
- Supreme Court directed the Central government on February 8 to frame a policy to protect wetlands by June 30.
- The court’s direction will cover over 2 lakh wetlands across India which were identified through satellite imagery by ISRO and the Centre has been asked to draw up a phased plan of action to conserve the water bodies.
- The bench set a deadline of June 30 to frame policy for preservation of wetlands that are seen as effective carbon sinks to mitigate climate change and support a wide variety of arial, land and acquatic wildlife and fauna.
Tests for Moon Landing of Chandrayaan-2
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has started a series of ground tests for testing the performance of sensors and actuators for soft landing of the Lander on the lunar surface.
- ISRO is working towards the launch of Chandrayaan-2 during the first quarter of 2018 as per the PIB reports.
- The Chandrayaan-2 comprises of indigenous Orbiter, Lander and Rover. After reaching the 100 km lunar orbit, the Lander housing the Rover will separate from the Orbiter.
- After a controlled descent, the Lander will soft land on the lunar surface at a specified site and deploy a Rover.
- The instruments on the rover will collect data for analysis of the lunar soil.