Daily GK Digest – February 7th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 7th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Annual Maritime Power Conference – 2017
- The National Maritime Foundation (NMF) is conducting its Annual Maritime Power Conference-2017 at the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) Auditorium, New Delhi, on 09-10 February 2017.
- The theme of the conference is ‘The Blue Economy: Concept, Constituents and Development’.
- The NMF was established in 2005 to provide a common platform for discourse between maritime-related institutions, organisations and disciplines, within the country and abroad.
- The Foundation conducts independent academic research and provides policy-relevant recommendations to advance the nation’s maritime goals.
India calls for further progress on UNSC reforms
- India has called on UN member states to build upon the progress made towards reforming the Security Council.
- “It is unnatural and abnormal that even as the fundamental asymmetry between today’s global reality and the primary global governance mechanism relating to peace and security grows, we have confined ourselves to monologues rather than dialogue,” said India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Syed Akbaruddin.
- As the Intergovernmental Negotiations (IGN) on UN Security Council reforms commenced this year, Akbaruddin highlighted the progress and convergence already made over the years.
- He also said, in 2015 a total number of 122 member states had contributed to the framework document and enunciated their ideas for a reformed Security Council.
China’s Rocket Force Holds Exercise With New Ballistic Missile
- China’s newly-formed Rocket Force has conducted an exercise with advanced DF-16 medium-range ballistic missile that has a range of over 1,000 km.
- First displayed at a military parade in Beijing in 2015, the missile is believed to have a range of 1,000 kilometers, putting it within striking distance of Okinawa, home to several US military installations in Japan, Taiwan and the Philippines.
- The Rocket Force is a special contingent to handle range of missiles in its military’s arsenal.
- Two types of DF-16 appeared in the exercise, as per video footage.
US moves UN to ban JeM chief Masood Azhar
- US moved the United Nations for banning Pathankot attack mastermind and Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) chief Masood Azhar.
- The US, supported by the UK and France, moved a proposal to designate Masood Azhar as a global terrorist at the Sanctions Committee of the UN Security Council, but it has once again been opposed by China.
- After the attack on the IAF base at Pathankot in January last year, India in February wrote to the UN calling for immediate action to list Azhar under the al-Qaida Sanctions Committee.
SC clears plan to verify mobile phone users through Aadhaar
- The Supreme Court approved the government’s plan to record the identification details of mobile subscribers through an e-KYC (Know Your Customer) mechanism linked to Aadhaar in terms of national security and prevent fake users.
- A Bench led by Chief Justice of India J.S. Khehar asked the government, represented by Attorney-General Mukul Rohatgi, to put in place the mechanism within a year.
- The mechanism could cover at least 100 crore mobile phone subscribers, 90% of whom use pre-paid cards.
- The Supreme court was considering a petition by NGO Lokniti Foundation, which had contended that fake SIM cards were a major threat to national security.