Daily GK Digest – February 5-6, 2017 for top current affairs.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 5th-6th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs
Universal Immunization Programme: measles and rubella
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched Measles Rubella (MR) vaccination campaign in the country at a function in Bengaluru, on Sunday.
- The campaign against these two diseases will start from five States/UTs (Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, Goa and Lakshadweep) covering nearly 3.6 crore target children.
- Following the campaign, Measles-Rubella vaccine will be introduced in routine immunization, replacing the currently given two doses of measles vaccine, at 9-12 months and 16-24 months of age.
- Measles is a deadly disease and one of the important causes of death in children.
- Rubella is generally a mild infection, but has serious consequences if infection occurs in pregnant women, causing congenital rubella syndrome (CRS), which is a cause of public health concern.
Sasikala To Be Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
- VK Sasikala, the longtime companion of J Jayalalithaa who became the party chief after her death, has been elected the chief of AIADMK’s legislature party, clearing the decks for her takeover as the CM of Tamil Nadu.
- O Panneerselvam, the current incumbent of the post who proposed her name at the party’s internal meeting this afternoon, announced his resignation soon after.
- Sources said Ms Sasikala may take oath soon, depending on the availability of Governor C Vidyasagar Rao, who is in Maharashtra.
- Ms Sasikala, 61, is not an elected member of the assembly and had never held any post in the party.
UN Seeks India’s Nominee For Anti-Terror Panel
- India has been asked to send the name of its nominee for inclusion in a global team to assist a United Nations committee which decides on banning terror outfits and their leaders.
- Following the request from the global body, the ministries of Home Affairs and Finance have been asked to recommend names of suitable individuals who can be part of the key team, official sources said on Monday.
- The presence of the country’s nominee on the panel may facilitate the government’s efforts to get Masood Azhar, head of Pakistan-based terrorist group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) and mastermind of last year’s Pathankot air base attack, banned, they said.
- The 10-member ‘Analytical Support and Sanctions Monitoring Team’ comprising independent experts assists the Sanctions Committee.
World’s Longest Flight
- The world’s longest commercial flight landed in New Zealand on Monday with the arrival of Qatar Airways’s 14,535 kilometres (9,032 miles) Doha-Auckland service, the airline announced.
- The long-range Boeing 777-200LR crossed 10 time zones on its marathon flight.
- In keeping with international tradition to welcome inaugural flights, the Auckland airport rescue service showered the plane with water cannons on arrival.
- In March last year, Emirates airline launched what was then thought to be the world’s longest non-stop scheduled commercial flight, with a service from Dubai to Auckland, spanning 14,200 kilometres (8,824 miles).
Alistar Cook steps down as England Test captain
- Alastair Cook has stepped down as England’s Test captain, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said on Monday.
- Cook led the team in more Test matches than any other England captain.
- Cook, appointed as captain in 2012, led England in 59 Tests, which includes Ashes victories at home in 2013 and 2015 as well as series wins in India and South Africa.
- He also led the one-day side on 69 occasions between 2010 and 2014, another England record.