Daily GK Digest – February 4th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 4th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Assembly elections in Goa and Punjab
- For all the 40 constituencies in Goa and 117 constituencies of Punjab, voting took place in single phase today.
- Today’s elections test the expansion plans of Arvind Kejriwal’s Aam Aadmi Party, which debuts in both states.
- In Goa the election is being closely fought by major political forces BJP, Congress, AAP and MGP-led alliance.
- In Punjab its a triangular fight between Akali Dal-BJP alliance, Congress and AAP.
- The BJP is in power in both Goa and in Punjab with ally Akali Dal.
Seattle judge puts on hold Trump’s immigration order
- An American judge has imposed a temporary, nationwide hold on President Trump’s ban on travellers and immigrants from seven Muslim-majority nations.
- The controversial Trump order had banned migrants from Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Yemen and Somalia from entering the US for a period of 90 days.
- US District Judge James Robart in Seattle issued the temporary restraining order that will remain valid nationwide pending a full review of a complaint by Washington state attorney general Bob Ferguson.
- Post the judgement, the White House said that it’ll file for an emergency order against the federal judge’s ruling.
World Cancer Day
- World Cancer Day is an international day celebrated on February 4 to raise awareness of cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment.
- World Cancer Day was founded by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) to support the goals of the World Cancer Declaration, written in 2008.
- The primary goal of the World Cancer Day is to significantly reduce illness and death caused by cancer by 2020.
- Taking place under the tagline ‘We can. I can.’, World Cancer Day 2016-2018 will explore how everyone – as a collective or as individuals – can do their part to reduce the global burden of cancer.
President opens Rashtrapati Bhavan’s annual ‘Udyanotsav’
- President Pranab Mukherjee opened the annual ‘Udyanotsav‘ of the Rashtrapati Bhavan on February 4, 2017.
- The Mughal Gardens will remain open for general public from February 4, 2017 to March 12, 2017.
- The two varieties of roses named ‘President Pranab‘ and ‘Suvra Mukherjee‘ were developed by Pranabir Kumar Maity and Ashok Kumar Maity of Pushpanjali Rose Nursery at Jakpur, West Bengal.
- Exhibition Stalls set up near the Spiritual Garden displaying produce of fresh vegetables and fruits grown in the President’s Estate Organic Farm.
Indian Navy launches underwater harbour defence and surveillance system
- Indian Navy has launched an Integrated Underwater Harbour Defence and Surveillance System (IUHDSS) in Mumbai, Maharashtra to enhance the security of valuable naval assets against asymmetric threats.
- It was inaugurated by Vice Admiral Girish Luthra, Flag Officer Commanding- in-Chief, Western Naval Command.
- It is second IUHDSS to be installed in India, after first was installed at Kochi, Kerala in August 2015.