Daily GK Digest – February 28th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 28th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
China to build first underwater observation platform in South China Sea
- China is planning to build an underwater observation platform in the resource-rich South China Sea.
- The underwater observation platform, which will be its first, aims to observe underwater conditions in real time.
- China claims almost the entire South China Sea, which carry a third of the world’s maritime traffic and has huge amounts of oil and natural gas.
- China’s claim is contested by the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. China also claims Japan’s hold over the islands in the East China Sea.
Modified Pellet guns to be used in Jammu and Kashmir
- After pellet guns left hundreds with severe eye injuries during protests in Jammu and Kashmir last year, a modified version of the weapon will be used to ward off any protest ahead or during any anti-terrorism operations.
- CRPF Director General K Durga Prasad, said the paramilitary force had taken the decision of modifying the pellet guns to minimise injuries.
- The modified version of pellet guns will have a “deflector”, an attachment on the muzzle end to prevent the pellets from going up.
- The force has tasked a special BSF workshop to deploy metal ‘deflectors’ on the muzzle of these guns so that shrapnels in the pellets do not hit above the abdomen region.
Paytm Unveils Online Shopping App Paytm Mall
- Paytm E-Commerce, the online marketplace arm of One97 Communications Pvt. Ltd, launched Paytm Mall, a mobile app and online shopping portal.
- Paytm Mall is the new version of Paytm’s three year-old e-commerce business.
- According to a Paytm statement, Paytm Mall will allow customers to shop from 68 million products across categories such as fashion, electronics, consumer durables and home furnishings, from about 140,000 sellers.
- Paytm Mall also marks the formal entry of Alibaba into the e-commerce sector in the country.
Nand Kumar Sai assumes charge as Chairman of NCST
- Senior tribal leader from Chhattisgarh and ex parliamentarian Shri Nand Kumar Sai assumed charge as the chairman of National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) today in New Delhi.
- Born on January 1, 1946 at village Bhagora of Jaspur District in Chhattisgarh Shri Sai studied at NES college Jashpur and obtained Post Graduate degree in Political Science from Pt. Ravi Shankar Shukla University, Raipur.
- NCST was established by amending Article 338 and inserting a new Article 338A in the Constitution through the Constitution (89th Amendment) Act, 2003.
- The term of office of Chairperson is three years from the date of assumption of charge.
- The Chairperson has been given the rank of Union Cabinet Minister.
First Integrated Heliport dedicated to the Nation
- The First Integrated Heliport was dedicated to the Nation by Ministry of Civil Aviation at Rohini Heliport, Delhi.
- Heliport has been developed in association with Pawan Hans Limited.
- The Rohini heliport has been completed in almost two years at a cost of nearly 100 crores.
- This Heliport will provide all helicopter operational facilities and also promote Regional Air connectivity through helicopters in the northern part of the country for regular passenger services, heli services, landing & parking of helicopters, Helicopters Maintenance Services (MRO), disaster management, helicopter emergency medical services (HeMS), law & order surveillance.
- The Heliport consists of a terminal building having capacity of 150 passengers, 4 hangers with parking capacities for 16 helicopters and 9 parking bays.