Daily GK Digest – February 24-27, 2017 for top current affairs.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 24-27, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs.
Defence Security Corps Celebrates 70th Raising Day
- Defence Security Corps (DSC), which was raised on 25 February 1947 as ‘Defence Department Constabulary’, celebrated its 70th Raising Day on 25 February 2017.
- DSC troops have been providing security to various sensitive defence and civil installations across the length and breadth of the Country since 1947.
- On the occasion of the 70th Raising Day, Lieutenant General JS Cheema, Deputy Chief of Army Staff (Information System & Training) and Colonel Commandant of DSC, congratulated all ranks and complimented them for their relentless efforts in guarding sensitive Defence and civil establishments.
PM Modi Unveils 112 Feet Lord Shiva Bust
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveils 112 feet bust of ‘Adiyogi’ Lord Shiva at Isha Yoga Foundation, Coimbatore.
- Before unveiling the giant ‘Adiyogi’ bust, PM Modi lighted the “Maha Yoga Yagna” and released the book ‘Adiyoga: The source of Yoga’, which deals with yogic sciences.
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Union Minister Pon Radhakrishnan and Puducherry Lt Governor Kiran Bedi also attended the event.
- The statue and the foundation are located in the foothills of Velliangiri mountains in the Western Ghats.
Iran Tests Missiles In Naval Exercises
- Iran’s navy has test-fired the latest versions of the Nasr and Dehlaviyeh missiles during military exercises in the Gulf, local media reported.
- The latest naval cruise missile called Nasr was test-fired during Velayat 95 naval manoeuvres in the southern waters of the country, as per reports.
- It was reported back in 2012 that Iran had based the Dehlaviyeh on a Russian anti-tank missile.
US asks Russia to ‘immediately’ observe ceasefire in Ukraine
- The United States has asked Russia to “immediately” observe ceasefire in Ukraine.
- The US accused Russian and separatist forces of targeting international monitors.
- The US statement comes amid an upsurge in violence with Ukraine reporting that 16 of its soldiers were wounded in about 24 hours.
- The three-year-long Ukraine conflict has claimed more than 10,000 lives.
89th Academy awards
- The 89th Academy Awards ceremony, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), honored the best films of 2016, and took place on February 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles.
- La La Land won the most awards of the ceremony, with six, after receiving a record-tying 14 nominations.
- Moonlight won three awards, including Best Picture. Hacksaw Ridge and Manchester by the Sea won two awards each.
- Casey Affleck named as Best Actor for the movie ‘Manchester by the Sea’ and Emma Stone named as Best Actress for the movie ‘La La Land’.