Daily GK Digest – February 22nd, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 22nd, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Cabinet approves signing of Air Services Agreement between India and Greece
- Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the signing of Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Greece.
- The Agreement has the potential to spur greater trade, investment, tourism and cultural exchange between the two countries bringing it in tune with the developments in the civil aviation sector.
- It will provide enabling environment for enhanced and seamless connectivity while providing commercial opportunities to the carriers of both the sides ensuring greater safety and security.
- At present there is no ASA between India and Greece. The delegations of two sides met in New Delhi on 6-7th September, 2016 and finalized the text of ASA.
Gramin Khel Mahostav 2017
- The Delhi Gramin Khel Mahotsav 2017 is being organized by the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports in association with Delhi Government from 25th to 31st March 2017
- Gramin Khel Mahotsav being organized to invite the talent from rural areas of NCT of Delhi to come and participate in a multi-sport championship to promote the culture of sport in Delhi.
- Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Vijay Goel said, the festival will help involve rural youth in large number to participate in popular sports and will encourage them to achieve excellence and adopt healthy life style.
- These Games are intended to act as a catalyst to promote sports in rural areas of the entire country and are going to be replicated in other States and UTs as well, he said.
NASA Has Found A New Solar System With 7 Earth-Size Planets
- Astronomers have found a nearby solar system with seven Earth-sized planets, three of which circle their parent star at the right distance for liquid surface water.
- The star, known as TRAPPIST-1, is a small, dim celestial body in the constellation Aquarius. It is located about 40 light years away from Earth.
- Researchers said the proximity of the system, combined with the proportionally large size of its planets compared to the small star, make it a good target for follow-up studies.
- They hope to scan the planets’ atmospheres for possible chemical fingerprints of life.
Russia Successfully Launches Space Freighter
- Russia successfully launched an unmanned spacecraft taking food and equipment to the International Space Station after the previous such ship crashed to Earth shortly after launch in December.
- A Soyuz rocket carrying the Progress cargo ship lifted off on schedule at 05:58 GMT, on Wednesday from Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, Russian space agency Roscosmos said.
- Russia is currently the only country executing manned space flights to the ISS, which are carried out using Soyuz rockets.
- The next manned launch to the ISS has been postponed until April 20 from late March, Roscosmos announced this month.
Jammu & Kashmir govt puts cap on wedding spending
- In a new order issued by the Jammu and Kashmir government imposed curbs on guest list and dishes to be served in weddings in the state.
- The government has directed deputy commissioners of all the districts to implement the order.
- According to the circular, only 500 guests can be invited at the weddings. The order has limited the number of Wazwan dishes to seven.
- Use of loudspeakers, amplifiers and firecrackers during weddings has also been banned.
- The order will come into force from April 1 and people have also been directed not to send dry fruits and sweets with invitation cards.