Daily GK Digest – February 21st, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 21st, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
India, Rwanda Sign Three Agreements To Boost Bilateral Relations
- India and Rwanda have signed three agreements during the visit of Vice President Hamid Ansari to boost bilateral relations that include establishment of an entrepreneurship developement centre in Kigali.
- According to the Memorandum of Understandings signed between Rwanda and India, Rwanda Air will soon begin services to India, and the two countries will mutually exempt visa requirements for diplomatic and official passport holders.
- Vice President Ansari, who is on a five-day tour to Rwanda and Uganda, earlier yesterday launched an innovation growth programme and addressed business leaders and experts from the two countries.
Pakistan cancels licences of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed
- Pakistan has cancelled the licences of 44 weapons issued to JuD chief Hafiz Saeed and other members of his organisations, citing security reasons.
- An official of the Punjab Home Department said the step has been taken in line with the government’s action against Saeed and his organisations – the Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) and the Falaha-e-Insanyat (FIF).
- The government on January 30 had put Saeed and four other leaders of his organizations under house arrest in Lahore for a period of 90 days.
- Saeed and 37 members of JuD and FIF have also been placed on the Exit Control List, barring them from leaving the country.
BHIM app crosses 17 million downloads
- Digital payments app BHIM, which the government launched last December for fast and secure cashless transactions, has recorded 17 million downloads so far, NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant on Tuesday said.
- The Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM) app was launched on the iOS platform earlier this month. It is also available on the more popular Android platform.
- BHIM is a platform designed to make payment through UPI and USSD modes simpler.
Reliance Jio to cross 100 million customers mark in 170 days
- Reliance Jio has crossed the 100 million customers mark in 170 days of its launch, its chairman Mukesh Ambani said on Tuesday.
- He said, Jio would continue to offer free voice calls and national roaming post April 1,when its promotional free voice and data offer ends.
- For the existing 100 million users, he announced a Jio Prime Membership programme wherein customers can enrol by paying one-time fee of Rs. 99 and continue to get the existing benefits till March 2019 at a price of only Rs. 303 per month.
- Jio has more than double the number of 4G base stations of all other Indian operators put together.
Shurhozelie Liezeitsu elected as new CM of Nagaland
- Nagaland People’s Front (NPF) president Shurhozelie Liezeitsu will be sworn in as the state’s eleventh Chief Minister Wednesday.
- He was on Monday invited by Governor P B Acharya to form the next government after the ruling Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) unanimously elected him leader of its legislature party.
- Accompanied by the outgoing Chief Minister T R Zeliang, Shurhozelie met the Governor at the Raj Bhavan and staked claim to form the next government.
- The Nagaland Assembly has no Opposition and all 60 MLAs in the House belong to DAN — 49 NPF, four BJP and seven Independents.