Daily GK Digest – February 2nd, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 2nd, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
World Wetlands Day being celebrated today
- World Wetlands Day is celebrated on February 2 each year to mark the Day the Convention on Wetlands was adopted in the Iranian City of Ramsar in 1971.
- India is a party to the Convention since 1982 and committed to the Ramsar approach of wise use of wetlands.
- The theme of World Wetlands Day for 2017 is ‘Wetlands for Disaster Risk Reduction’. This theme has been selected to raise awareness on the vital roles of healthy wetlands in reducing the impacts of extreme events on communities and in helping to build resilience.
- This year World Wetland Day is being celebrated in collaboration with the Government of Madhya Pradesh at Bhoj Wetlands, Bhopal, which is one of the 26 Ramsar sites that India has designated under the Ramsar Convention.
Amitabh Kant launches India Innovation Index
- To make India an innovation-driven economy, NITI Aayog, Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) together launched a mega initiative “India Innovation Index” (III)
- III will rank states on Innovations through country’s first online innovation index portal that will capture data on innovation from all Indian states on innovation and regularly update it in real time.
- The India Innovation Index Framework will be structured based on the best practices followed in Global Innovation Index (GII) indicators and additionally by adding India-centric parameters those truly reflect the Indian innovation ecosystem.
- This initiative will be the point of reference for all international agencies to collect India’s up to date data points for global indices and analytic.
Kuwait Bans 5 Muslim-Majority Countries
- Kuwait has suspended the issuance of visas for nationals of Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran.
- Kuwaiti government has told would-be migrants from the five banned nations to not apply for visas, as it is worried about the possible migration of radical Islamic terrorists, Sputnik International reported.
- Kuwait was the only nation to prohibit the entry of Syrian nationals prior to Trump’s executive action. Kuwait City previously issued a suspension of visas for all Syrians in 2011.
India Signs Agreement With World Bank To Improve Technical Education
- India has signed a $201.50 million financing agreement with the World Bank to improve the quality of technical education in the country.
- “Financing agreement for credit of $201.50 million for the ‘Third Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP III)’ was signed with the World Bank here on Tuesday,” the Finance Ministry said in a statement.
- The project aims at improving quality and equity in engineering institutes in the states and take initiatives to strengthen sector governance and performance, it said.
- “The project has been designed as a disbursement-linked one, that is, the World Bank loan will be disbursed on achievement of specific outcomes,” it added.
43 Of 107 Budget Proposals Were Implemented Last Year: Finance Ministry
- Of the 107 social schemes and welfare programmes announced in the Union Budget for 2016-17, 43 were implemented and 4 partially implemented by the ministries concerned, work on 59 was in progress while one was dropped, said the Finance Ministry on Wednesday.
- Among the important proposals on which “action was completed” were providing cooking gas (LPG) connection for women members of the poor households.
- The Power Ministry had electrified 4,219 villages as on December 12, against the target of 8,360 for 2016-17, though 7,108 were electrified against the target of 6,686 in 2015-16.
- The ministry has released Rs. 5,448 crore till December 26 for the twin energy schemes, which were partially implemented.