Daily GK Digest – February 19-20, 2017 for top current affairs.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 19-20, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs.
Russia Overtakes Saudi Arabia As World’s Top Crude oil Producer
- Russia overtook Saudi Arabia as the world’s largest crude producer in December, when both countries started restricting supplies ahead of agreed cuts with other global producers to curb the worst glut in decades.
- Russia pumped 10.49 million barrels a day in December, down 29,000 barrels a day from November, while Saudi Arabia’s output declined to 10.46 million barrels a day from 10.72 million barrels a day in November, according to data.
- The U.S. was the third-largest producer, at 8.8 million barrels a day in December compared with 8.9 million barrels a day in November, according to JODI.
- Iraq came in fourth at 4.5 million barrels a day, followed by China at 3.98 million barrels a day, the data show.
Former Chief Justice Of India Altamas Kabir Dies
- Former Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir died at a city hospital on Sunday afternoon.
- He was aged 68-year and was suffering from a kidney ailment and related complications.
- Mr Kabir was appointed as the Chief Justice of India on September 29, 2012. He retired on July 19, 2013.
India is world’s largest arms importer: SIPRI
- India was the world’s largest importer of major arms in the last five years and its overseas procurement was far greater than that of China and Pakistan.
- As per latest report of the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), India accounted for 13 per cent of the total global arms import between 2012- 16 which is highest among all the countries.
- As per reports, India increased its arms imports by 43 per cent between 2007-11 and 2012-16 and in the last four years its global procurement was far greater than those of its regional rivals China and Pakistan.
- Saudi Arabia was the second largest arms importer in 2012-16, with an increase of 212 per cent compared with 2007-11.
February 20: World day of Social Justice
- World Day of Social Justice is a day recognizing the need to promote efforts to tackle issues such as poverty, exclusion and unemployment.
- The theme for 2017 is “Preventing conflict and sustaining peace through decent work”.
- The General Assembly of United Nations proclaimed 20 February as World Day of Social Justice in 2007.
Pakistani Cricketer Shahid Afridi announces retirement from international cricket
- Legendary Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi announced his retirement from international cricket, ending an illustrious and sometimes controversial 21-year career.
- The 36-year-old star had already quit Tests in 2010 and ODI cricket after the 2015 World Cup but still skippered the Pakistan T20 team at the 2016 world championships in India.
- Nicknamed ‘Boom Boom’, Afridi had been a fan favourite since he burst onto the scene in 1996, striking a 37-ball one-day century against Sri Lanka in only his second match to set a world record that was unbeaten for 18 years.
- Afridi played just 27 Test matches which yielded 1,176 runs with a highest score of 156 and 48 wickets. He played 398 ODI with 8,064 runs, a highest score of 124 while taking 395 wickets with his leg spin. His T20 international career has 98 matches with 1,405 runs and a career-leading 97 wickets.