Daily GK Digest – February 14-15, 2017 for top current affairs.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 14-15, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs.
Aero India 2017 Takes Off at Bengaluru
- Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar inaugurated the 11th biennial edition of International Aerospace and Defence Exhibition and declared the Aero India 2017 at Air Force Station, Yelahanka in Bengaluru.
- This edition of Aero India, for the first time, combines the defence and civil aviation segments into a holistic event with the co involvement of the defence and civil aviation ministries in the event.
- This edition of Aero India sees the participation of 549 companies with 53 Aircraft gracing the event.
- The total area of the show has grown from 24,403 sqm to 27,678 sqm this year. The gross area has also increased from 2,50,000 sqm to 2,60,000 sqm.
PSLV-C37 successfully launches 104 satellites in a single flight
- In its thirty ninth flight (PSLV-C37), ISRO’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle successfully launched the 714 kg Cartosat-2 Series Satellite along with 103 co-passenger satellites today morning from Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota.
- This is the thirty eighth consecutively successful mission of PSLV. The total weight of all the 104 satellites carried on-board PSLV-C37 was 1378 kg.
- The total number of Indian satellites launched by PSLV now stands at 46.
- With today’s successful launch, the total number of customer satellites from abroad launched by India’s workhorse launch vehicle PSLV has reached 180.
Agreement between India and Croatia on Economic Cooperation
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of the Republic of Croatia on Economic Cooperation was signed by two countries.
- Commerce and Industry Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman, Government of India and Ms. Martina Dalic, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Economy, Government of the Republic of Croatia signed on 14th February, 2017 in Zagreb, Croatia.
- India and Croatia had earlier signed an Agreement on Trade and Economic Cooperation in September, 1994 with an aim to promote and develop bilateral trade and economic relations.
- The present Agreement between India and Croatia would be a step in continuity as the last one expired in November, 2009.
China To Build Floating Nuclear Plants In South China Sea
- China has said it will develop floating nuclear power plants on a priority basis in the South China Sea as it seeks to beef up electricity supply to the islands in the disputed maritime region.
- China will prioritise the development of a floating nuclear power platform in the coming five years, in an effort to provide stable power to offshore projects and promote ocean gas exploitation, Wang Yiren, vice director of the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence said.
- Wang told Science and Technology Daily that Chinese authorities have already carried out research on relevant core technologies as well as the standardisation of maritime nuclear power plants.
Air Force Gets ‘Netra’, The Game Changer In Warfare
- The first indigenous Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEW&C) has been handed over to the Indian Air Force (IAF) on the opening day of Aero India, the world’s second largest airshow.
- In a small ceremony on the tarmac at Yelahanka Air Force base outside Bengaluru, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar handed over the symbolic keys of the aircraft to the new IAF squadron which will fly the aircraft from its base in Bhatinda in Punjab.
- The Netra is designed to control the battle space by detecting enemy aircraft more than 300 kilometres away. Using this data, operators onboard the jet can vector Indian Air Force fighters to intercept these hostile targets.
- It is equipped with an indigenously built Active Electronically Scanned Radar, Secondary Surveillance Radar, Electronic and Communication Counter Measures, LOS (Line of Sight) and beyond LOS data link, a voice communication system and self-protection suite.