Daily GK Digest – February 10th, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 10th, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Aero India 2017
- The 11th biennial edition of International Aerospace and Defence Exhibition – Aero India 2017 will be held at the Air Force Station, Yelahanka in Bengaluru from 14th to 18th February 2017.
- This year participation from 270 Indian Companies and 279 foreign companies. That is a total of 549 companies.
- Number of aircraft participating are 72.
- Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Kerala are setting up exclusive SEZ pavilions for attracting investment.
- Aerobatic teams participating in the show will be the Indian Air Force Sarang Team, the Indian Air Force Surya Kiran Team, the Scandinavian Air Show Team from Sweden and the Evolvkos Aerobatic Team from the UK.
National Women’s Parliament begins in Andhra Pradesh
- The three-day National Women’s Parliament, being organised by Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly began on Friday in the state capital region Amaravati.
- The theme of the event is ‘Empowering Women — Strengthening Democracy’.
- The vision of NWP is to enable and encourage social, political and economic empowerment of women in all strata of the society.
- An ‘International Woman Icon of the World’ award and 12 best young achievers awards for women in different fields will be presented at the NWP.
Kohli creates record by scoring century in successive Test series
- Indian captain Virat Kohli surpassed the legendary Sir Donald Bradman and Rahul Dravid by becoming the first batsman to score double hundreds in four successive Test series.
- Kohli’s double tons came in the series against the West Indies, New Zealand, England and now Bangladesh, which is in India for a one-off Test.
- Bradman and Dravid had achieved the feat in three successive series.
- For Dravid, the hat-trick of double hundreds in successive series came in the 2003-04 season.
Govt to set up 3 thousand affordable medicine stores
- The government is committed to end domination of ‘medicine mafia’ in many parts of the country for which it will push for opening 3,000 Jan Aushadhi Kendra by March to provide quality drugs at affordable prices, Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister Ananth Kumar said today.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Pariyojana, a scheme launched in 2008, the government has so far opened 777 Jan Aushadhi stores where more than 600 medicines and 150 medical devices are sold.
- The Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) is the nodal implementation agency for this programme.
- Last month, the government had signed an agreement with the NYCS to set up 1,000 Jan Aushadhi Kendras.
Shawna Pandya To Become Third Indian-Origin Woman To Fly In Space
- An Indian-origin neurosurgeon currently based in Canada has been shortlisted by NASA for its 2018 space mission under the Citizen Science Astronaut (CSA) programme.
- If everything goes as per plan, Dr Shawna Pandya, 32, may join the league of Kalpana Chawla and Sunita Williams.
- Dr Pandya, who was born in Canada, is a general physician with the Alberta University Hospital.
- Dr Pandya, who is in Mumbai holding talks with medical professionals, was shortlisted after securing top score in the CSA programme.