Daily GK Digest – February 1st, 2017 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for February 1st, 2017.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Finance Minister presents Union budget 2017-18 : key features
- Existing rate of Income tax for individual assesses between income of Rs 2.5 lakhs to 5 lakhs reduced to 5% from the present rate of 10%.
- Maximum amount of cash donation, a political party can receive, will be Rs 2000/- from one person.
- No transaction above Rs 3 lakh would be permitted in cash subject to certain exceptions.
- Fiscal deficit for 2017-18 is targeted at 3.2% of GDP.
- Aadhar Pay, a merchant version of Aadhar Enabled Payment System, will be launched.
- Lending target under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana to be set at Rs 2.44 lakh crores.
- Foreign Investment Promotion Board to be abolished in 2017-18.
- For senior citizens, Aadhar based Smart Cards containing their health details will be introduced.
- Two new All India Institutes of Medical Sciences to be set up in Jharkhand
- Mahila Shakti Kendra will be set-up at village level with an allocation of Rs. 500 crores in 14 lakh ICDS Anganwadi Centres.
Indian Naval Air Enclave at Santa Cruz Inaugurated
- Vice Admiral Girish Luthra, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief Western Naval Command, inaugurated the Indian Naval Air Enclave, Santa Cruz (NAE Scz) at Santa Cruz, Mumbai today.
- The new Indian Naval Air Enclave has a big hangar and a large dispersal, on land owned by the Navy, adjacent to the Runway and the taxi track.
- P8I LRMR aircraft are presently operating from their base at Arakkonam, near Chennai. With the operationalization of the NAE at Santa Cruz, the Indian Navy can operate the P8I’s from this enclave.
US Gives Anti-ISIS Syria Force Armoured Vehicles
- The United States has provided Syrian fighters battling the ISIS group with armoured vehicles for the first time, a US official and a spokesman for the anti-jihadist force said.
- Washington has long partnered with the Kurdish-Arab Syrian Democratic Forces alliance to battle IS in Syria, which has been ravaged by conflict since an anti-government uprising that began in March 2011.
- US military spokesman Colonel John Dorrian said the armoured Sports Utility Vehicles had been provided to the “Syrian Arab Coalition”, a grouping of Arab factions within the SDF.
- The US-led coalition fighting IS in Syria and Iraq has also carried out air strikes in support of the SDF as it battles IS.
Morocco rejoins African Union after more than 30 years
- Morocco has been readmitted to the African Union more than 3 decades after it left when the continental body recognized the independence of the disputed territory of Western Sahara.
- Morocco’s King Mohammed VI, who had been campaigning since last year to join the bloc, told African leaders at the AU summit in Addis Ababa: “Africa is my home, and I am coming back home.”
- Thirty-nine countries supported Morocco’s bid for readmission into the AU this week but nine voted against it, according to sources quoted by the Associated Press.
- Morocco, the only country in Africa that was not a member of the AU, left its predecessor, the Organisation of African Unity, in 1984 after a majority of the member states recognised the disputed territory of Western Sahara.
DARPG starts ‘DARPGSEVA’
- The Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG), Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions has started its Twitter Seva here today.
- The Twitter Handle is ‘DARPGSEVA’. The Twitter Seva aims to address issues relating to the DARPG like Public Grievances and Administrative Reforms etc.
- The Twitter Seva will enable the DARPG to reach out to the common public and various stakeholders for facilitating redress of grievances and other issues of importance relating to the department.