Daily GK Digest – December 29th, 2016 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for December 29th, 2016.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
‘Swachh Swasth Sarvatra’ initiative launched
- Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare Shri J P Nadda and Union Minister of Human Resource Development Shri Prakash Javadekar launched ‘Swachh Swasth Sarvatra’ to commemorate Good Governance Day at a function today.
- Swachh Swasth Sarvatra is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation to achieve better health outcomes through improved sanitation and increased awareness and healthy lifestyles.
- The three key components of Swachh Swasth Sarvatra are:
- Community Health Centres (CHCs) in Open Defecation Free (ODF) blocks supported to achieve Kayakalp certification
- Gram Panchayat of Kayakalp Primary Health Centres (PHCs) prioritized to become ODF
- Training in WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene ) of CHC/PHC nominees
China launches high-resolution remote sensing satellites
- China successfully launched a pair of high-resolution remote sensing satellites to get commercial images.
- The satellites were launched from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre in Shanxi Province, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
- The satellites, SuperView-1 01/02, blasted off at 11:23 a.m. Beijing time on the back of a Long March 2D rocket, according to the center.
- They are able to provide commercial images at 0.5-meter resolution.
No e-tokens for Bangladeshi travellers seeking for Indian visa
- The Indian High Commission in Bangladesh has scrapped the e-token or prior appointment free visa system for Bangladeshi travelers. This will come into effect from January 1.
- The decision was taken in line with its ongoing effort to ‘streamline, liberalise and ease the process of securing Indian visas’, as per reports.
- The measure is aimed at facilitating people-to-people contacts between India and Bangladesh, said a press statement from the High Commission.
- The Indian Visa Application Centre in Mirpur from January 1 will receive walk-in tourist visa applications from confirmed travellers and senior citizens.
World’s highest bridge opens in China
- Beipanjiang Bidge, now the world’s highest bridge, has just opened to traffic in Guizhou province in southwest China, which is already home to seven of the 10 highest bridges in the country.
- With a height equivalent to a 200 story building, the bridge linking two of southwest China’s provinces is the highest in the world by vertical distance from the bridge deck down to the ground below.
- Construction of the 4,400 foot long suspension bridge started in 2013, costing about $150 million dollars.
- The local transportation authority in charge of the bridge says public data of bridges across the globe shows that this new bridge is the highest on the planet.
Centre releases Rs 250 cr for Lucknow Metro Rail project
- The Central government has released 250 crore rupees for the Lucknow Metro Rail project which is a joint venture of Central and Uttar Pradesh Governments. Urban Development Ministry in a release said, with this, a total of 550 crore rupees assistance have been provided to the Metro project so far.
- The 23 kilometer project is estimated to cost 6 thousand 928 crore rupees. Out of this, the Centre will provide over one thousand crore rupees as its share of equity, 297 crore rupees as Sub-ordinate Debt and 3,500 crore rupees as loan assistance.
- Central Government entered into a loan agreement with the European Investment Bank in March this year for providing a loan of Rs.3,500 cr to the Lucknow Metro Project.