Daily GK Digest – December 27th, 2016 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Digest Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for December 27th, 2016.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
Nock-ten Typhoon hits Philippines
- Typhoon Nock-Ten, locally known as Nina, then blew westward across mountainous and island provinces, damaging homes, uprooting trees and knocking down communications.
- With 130-200kmph speed, it blew over the heavily populated provinces of Batangas and Cavite, south of Manila.
- The storm was one of the strongest to hit the Philippines since Typhoon Haiyan left more than 7,300 people dead or missing and displaced over 5 million in 2014.
- Officials in Albay, where more than 150,000 villagers were displaced by the typhoon, declared a “state of calamity” to allow faster disbursement of emergency funds.
India’s longest range Nuclear capable missile Agni-V test fired
- After India becoming the member of Missile Technology Control Regime, for the first time India successfully test fired with Long range nuclear capable Agni-V missile from Wheeler island of Odisha coast.
- Agni-V has a range of over 5,000 km and can carry about a 1,000-kg warhead. With this range, it can target almost all of Asia including Pakistan and China and Europe.
- Agni-V is three stage solid propellant ICBM, indigenously developed by DRDO.
- It is about 17m long, 2m wide and has launch weight of around 50 tonnes. This is the fourth developmental and second trial of the long range missile.
- It carries Multiple Independently targetable Re-entry Vehicles (MIRV) payloads. A single MIRV equipped missile that can deliver multiple warheads at different targets.
Indo-Bangla border to be completely sealed by mid 2018: Home minister
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said the security of the more than 200km-long Indo-Bangladesh border was a priority for the BJP government and it will be completely sealed in next one and a half years.
- Minister said, “Bangladesh is our neighbouring country and we share a good and warm relation, which we will continue to pursue and remain committed to in the future”.
- The Union minister said the Centre will make no compromise on the issue of insurgency as he claimed that violence has considerably come down in the State of Assam.
- The Union minister, without referring to the issues of illegal migration and granting of citizenship to Hindu refugees, said that government is committed to protect the interests of the indigenous population of the state as per Clause 6 of the Assam Accord.
China tests new jet fighter FC-31
- China tested the latest version of its 5th generation stealth fighter as per reports, as it tries to end the West’s monopoly on the world’s most advanced warplanes.
- This version of J-31 now named as FC-31 Gyrfalcon took off to the air for the first time.
- The jet is manufactured by Shenyang Aircraft Corp., a subsidiary of the Aviation Industry Corp of China (AVIC).
- One major difference is the configuration of the aircraft’s twin canted tail. Produced by Shenyang Aircraft Corporation, the FC-31 features a cropped tail, whereas the first prototype designated J-31, had a nearly triangular tails with a horizontal top, as per reports.
Railways brings Fog alert through RailYatri for train delays
- Online portal and mobile app RailYatri has launched a feature which will alert rail travellers about delays in services due to fog.
- The new ‘Fog Alert’ feature tells the passengers about fog probability along the route, severity of fog and its probable impact on train schedules.
- The feature would allow people to plan their travel better as well as keep their near and dear ones informed about the delays.