Daily GK Digest – December 22nd, 2016 for top current affairs of today.
Bookmark this page (Ctrl+D) for viewing latest GK Updates.
Daily GK Digest
Here is the daily GK Digest for December 22nd, 2016.
Daily GK Digest : Top Five Current Affairs for Today
National Mathematics Day
- National Mathematics Day is being celebrated all across the country on 22 December to commemorate the birth anniversary of Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujam. Today is his 129th birth anniversary.
- The day was first introduced by former Prime Minister of India, Dr Manmohan Singh, on 26 February, 2012.
- On this occasion, India and UNESCO agreed to work jointly in spreading the joy of mathematics and knowledge to students and learners across the world.
- Though Ramanujan had no formal training in pure mathematics, he made significant contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions.
ICC awards-2016: Indian all-rounder R. Ashwin Cricketer of the Year 2016
- Ravichandran Ashwin named as the ICC Cricketer of the Year 2016 to win Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for his glorious achievements in the International Cricket. Ashwin also named as ICC test cricketer of the year.
- Quinton de Kock (South Africa) named as ICC ODI Cricketer of the year.
- Carlos Brathwaite (West Indies)named as ICC T20I Performance of the Year for his brilliant performance in ICC WT20 final vs England. (34 not out, 10 balls, 1×4, 4×6)
- Bangladeshi young fast bowler Mustafizur Rahman awarded with ICC Emerging Cricketer of the Year.
- Misbah-ul-Haq (Pakistan) and Marais Erasmus featured for ICC Spirit of Cricket Award and ICC Umpire of the Year (David Shepherd Trophy) respectively.
- Suzie Bates (New Zealand) named as both ICC Women’s ODI Cricketer of the year as well as ICC Women’s T20 Cricketer of the year.
RBI governor to brief parliamentary panel on Jan 19
- Urjit Patel, Governor of RBI will brief a parliamentary panel on January 19 on issues concerning demonetisation and its implications on the economy..
- The Standing Committee on Finance, which met today under the chairmanship of Congress leader M Veerappa Moily, was briefed about demonetisation with other experts in the panel.
- The committee, the sources said, has called Patel on January 19 to brief the members about the contours of demonetisation and also the efforts being made by the central bank to ease cash crunch in the economy.
- The panel also sought to know from the experts their opinion on the existing cash to GDP and tax to GDP ratios.
China launches satellite to monitor global carbon emissions
- China today launched a global carbon dioxide monitoring satellite via a Long March-2D rocket at 3.22am from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in the Gobi Desert, Xinhua news agency reported.
- The 620-kg satellite TanSat was sent into a sun synchronous orbit about 700 km above the earth and will monitor the concentration, distribution and flow of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
- The satellite will help in understanding of climate change and provide independent data.
- China is a signatory to the Paris climate change agreement, the first universal action plan for curbing global warming. The US and China are together responsible for some 40 percent of the world’s emissions, so their participation in the agreement is crucial for its success.
UP government gives assent to include 17 OBCs in Scheduled Castes list
- Uttar Pradesh government today gave its assent to include 17 Other Backward Castes in the Scheduled Castes (SC) list. A Cabinet meeting presided over by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav cleared the proposal in this regard.
- The 17 sub-castes which the government wants included in the SC category are Kahar, Kashyap, Kewat, Nishad, Bind, Bhar, Prajapati, Rajbhar, Batham, Gaur, Tura, Majhi, Mallah, Kumhar, Dheemar and Machua.
- Earlier in March 2013, the Uttar Pradesh Assembly had passed a resolution asking the centre to include 17 castes of the state into the list of Scheduled Castes (SC) category.