BHIM App – UPI based NPCI Mobile application
Before we head to BHIM App, let us go through the Trending current affairs articles of this month.
BHIM App : Mobile Application
- BHIM (Bharat Interface for Money – Bhim App) is a digital payments solution app for easy and quick transactions.
- Developed by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), based on the Unified Payment Interface (UPI).
- BHIM App was launched by Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India, at a Digi Dhan programme at Talkatora Stadium in New Delhi on 30 December 2016.
- It has been named after Bhim Rao Ambedkar and is intended to facilitate e-payments directly through banks and as part of the 2016 Indian banknote demonetisation and drive towards cashless transactions.
- This UPI app supports all Indian banks which use that platform, which is built over the Immediate Payment Service(IMPS) infrastructure and allows the user to instantly transfer money between the bank accounts of any two parties.
- It can be used on all mobile devices.
BHIM App : Features
- Without registering the payee beforehand, one can transfer fund to any bank account.
- BHIM App transfers money immediately anytime, even on holidays or night.
- Here one don’t need to know the bank account number of the payee and can transfer money to a person only using his mobile number.
- There is no need of ‘internet banking activated’ to use BHIM app.
- In BHIM App, can also transfer fund to a virtual payment address and bank account number.
- In this app, one can also send money via IFSC (Indian Financial System Code) and MMID (Mobile Money Identifier) Code to users who don’t have a UPI-based bank account.
- There’s also the option of creating your own QR (Quick Response) code for a fixed amount of money, which the merchant can scan to make the deduction.
- Besides UPI PIN, here would be able to authenticate the fund transfer using fingerprints.
- BHIM app would also work on feature phone without internet.
- There is ‘Scan and Pay’ facility. It makes the payment transfer fast, specially at a shop.
- Can also check bank balance of the account. It is not limited to the parent bank of the app.
- The BHIM app also gives a link to directly call the respective bank if there is an issue. In fact, it has saved the customer care number of all the banks.
- Now BHIM app is available on 9 different Indian language.
- Can use the Aadhaar number to transfer money through this app. However the Aadhaar of the beneficiary should be linked to a bank account.
BHIM App : How it differs from other mobile wallets
- In mobile wallet can store limited amount of money, but BHIM is UPI-based, and thus linked directly to a bank account.
- All the payee needs is a bank account. If this account is UPI activated, you can just ask for the payee’s VPA or virtual payment address, and make the payment to that account.
BHIM App : Union Budget
- During the presentation of Union Budget 2017-18, Finance minister Arun Jaitley said that BHIM is currently being used by over 125 lakh Indian citizens.