89th Academy awards – Oscars 2017
The Academy Awards – Oscars
- ‘The Academy Awards’ or ‘Oscars’ is a group of artistic and technical honors given annually by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) to recognize excellence in cinematic achievements in the United States film industry as assessed by the Academy’s voting membership.
- The various category winners are awarded a copy of a statuette, officially called the Academy Award of Merit, which has become commonly known by its nickname “Oscars.”
- The first Academy Awards presentation was held on May 16, 1929, at a private dinner function at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel with an audience of about 270 people.
- As of now there are 24 categories for awards of merit.
Oscars : Academy Award of Merit (Oscar statuette)
- The best known award is the Academy Award of Merit, more popularly known as the Oscar statuette.
- The statuette is made of gold-plated britannium on a black metal base, it is 13.5 in (34.3 cm) tall, the award weighs 8.5 lb (3.856 kg) and depicts a knight rendered in Art Deco style holding a crusader’s sword standing on a reel of film with five spokes.
- The five spokes represent the original branches of the Academy: Actors, Writers, Directors, Producers, and Technicians.
89th Academy awards : Oscars – 2017
- The 89th Academy Awards ceremony, presented by the AMPAS, honored the best films of 2016, on February 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles.
- ‘La La Land’ received the most oscars nominations with a record tying 14 nominations and won in 6 categories.
- Complete list of winners of Oscars – 2017 as mentioned below:
- Best Picture: MOONLIGHT.
- Best Director: Damien Chazelle for the movie LA LA LAND.
- Best Actor in a Leading Role: ASEY AFFLECK in the movie Manchester by the Sea
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role: MAHERSHALA ALI in the movie Moonlight
- Best Actress in a Leading Role: EMMA STONE in the movie La La Land
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role: VIOLA DAVIS in the movie Fences
- Best Animated Feature: ZOOTOPIA
- Best Animated Short Film: PIPER
- Best Cinematography: LA LA LAND
- Best Costume Design: FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM by Colleen Atwood
- Best Documentary Feature: O.J.: MADE IN AMERICA by Ezra Edelman and Caroline Waterlow
- Best Documentary Short Subject: THE WHITE HELMETS by Orlando von Einsiedel and Joanna Natasegara
- Best Film Editing: HACKSAW RIDGE by John Gilbert
- Best Foreign Language Film: THE SALESMAN of Iran
- Best Live Action Short Film: SING by Kristof Deák and Anna Udvardy
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling: SUICIDE SQUAD by Alessandro Bertolazzi, Giorgio Gregorini and Christopher Nelson
- Best Original Score: LA LA LAND by Justin Hurwitz
- Best Original Song: CITY OF STARS from La La Land; Music by Justin Hurwitz; Lyric by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul
- Best Production Design: LA LA LAND. Production Design: David Wasco; Set Decoration: Sandy Reynolds-Wasco
- Best Sound Editing: ARRIVAL by Sylvain Bellemare
- Best Sound Mixing: HACKSAW RIDGE by Kevin O’Connell, Andy Wright, Robert Mackenzie and Peter Grace
- Best Visual Effects: THE JUNGLE BOOK by Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R. Jones and Dan Lemmon
- Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay): MOONLIGHT Screenplay by Barry Jenkins; Story by Tarell Alvin McCraney
- Best Writing (Original Screenplay): MANCHESTER BY THE SEA Written by Kenneth Lonergan.